Sunday, 2 August 2015

Cilla Black: One Of The UK's Most Legendary Luminaries


Today we lost a true legend, and I lost an integral part of my youth. Cilla was a difficult lady--legends often are--but she defined the Brit Girls movement on the 1960s, and absolutely no one could deliver a power Continental ballad the way she did. Some years ago her husband Bobby and I had a bit of a public ding-dong over my repeating some of the things that Gracie Fields had said about Cilla, but we eventually made up. I expected her to thrash me when I wrote about her, but she was very nice about it all. I even got a birthday card from her each year after that. I think it's sad that she more or less gave up her singing career for television game shows, but in these her innate charisma shone like a lodestar. She was only on TV last night, an old clip with Morecambe & Wise, and now she is gone. 
RIP Cilla. If anyone had a heart, you did!
xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment