Sunday, 22 February 2015

Janis Joplin Queen Of Heartache? More Like Queen Of Headache!



A couple of years ago I was offered a commission to write a book called 'The 27 Club' about all the 'great' stars who had expired at this age. I turned it down because there was no way I could ever write anything positive about  unholy rows such as Janis Joplin, Kurt Cobain and Jimi Hendrix. Jim Morrison, a very big yes. We often go to the Morrison Bar in Paris.

Last night, ahead of the Golvkin fight (our boy won!) I watched BBC 3 'Queens of Heartache'. Piaf, Maria Callas, Billie Holiday, Judy Garland...YES. But this long-haired opiated mess who sounds like a tom-cat having its nuts lowered slowly into a blender? Somehow I think the BBC were taking the piss. I never understood what people ever saw in her. Half the time you couldn't understand what she was wailing about, and the other half of the time she didn't know which planet she was on. I would call her 'Queen of Headache'. Marlene Dietrich summed her up perfectly:
'Anybody that finds the noise that Janis Joplin makes even remotely entertaining needs to have their head read!'
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment