Sunday, 13 April 2014

Dorothy Squires: 16 Years Gone


It's sixteen years since Dot left us, and her presence is still felt every day. We had some wild and wonderful times together, for nigh on twenty years. Dot could out-sing, out-curse, and out-fight them all. Had she been around today she wouldn't have tolerated all the press-victim-CPS nonsense. "Kick them where it hurts--and if it really hurts them, kick them again to make it hurt even more!" was Dot's motto!

I've been asked several times to write her story, primarily because I'm just about the only one with all the inside information. All the others are dead, and Roger Moore will never tell. Dot gave me the script for "Rain, Rain, Go Away!" within which there is a chapter headed, "Give Us A Leg Up, Sarge, I'm Going To Kill A Fucking Italian!" Another chapter was headed, "Corruption At The BBC", so when the time comes, I know what I'm up against.

Absolutely no publisher in the UK will publish a Dot Squires biography. She went for just about everybody, and there are few of the old-timers at the BBC and more than a few elderly reporters who don't blanch at the mention of her name. She made her comeback on the day Ted Robledo (my next subject) was murdered, and she was undisputedly the greatest female singer this country has ever had. So I guess I'll be doing this one, when the time comes, myself. I like some self-publishing, which has its advantages if the author is a name--not if they're a one-title beginner on account of the vast amount of titles published every week--but its disadvantages where litigation may be in danger of raising its ugly head. I guess that as most of Dot's enemies are still around, I had better hire myself a good legal reader!

Meanwhile, do me a favour. Pop on a CD tomorrow, or take a trip to youtube and hear what a real singer sounds like, as opposed to the screeching you're going to be hearing during the latest "Britain's Got Talent" season. 

2 comments:

  1. Dorothy was the best and I was mesmerized at her performance at the Empire Theatre, Edinburgh at the age of 12!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you all so much! She was the best!

    Top / All







    Kenny ‏@Martin12K · 30m
    @DavidBret @lmmother @DorothySquires I miss Dot and saw her many times when she came to Edinburgh and Glasgow. Simply wonderful and unique!


     View conversation  Reply
     Retweet

     Favorite


     More





















    Dame Gracie Fields ‏@lmmother · 1h
    @DavidBret @DorothySquires Alma Cogan Maureen Evans Jean Campbell Billie Anthony Joan Regan Dot Shirley Bassey Ruby Murray lots there David.


     View conversation  Reply
     Retweet

     Favorite


     More





















    Dame Gracie Fields ‏@lmmother · 1h
    @DavidBret @DorothySquires I think you should do Brit Girls of the 50s, plenty singers there.


     View conversation  Reply
     Retweet

     Favorite


     More





















    Dame Gracie Fields ‏@lmmother · 1h
    @DavidBret @DorothySquires Wonderful blog piece David on Dot we never forget her talent and guts.


    ReplyDelete