Wednesday, 17 July 2013

The Joys Of Anonymity


I was amused to read how J K Rowling had experimented by publishing a book under another name, apparently just to see how the reaction would be. It didn't sell well, then when the truth was leaked, it shot to the top of the best-sellers list.
I wrote my first book in 1977, and between then and my first Piaf in 1988, those rejection slips never seemed to stop. I took comfort from John Braine--his "Room At The Top" was rejected over sixty times. So while the rejection slips were coming in, I kept on writing. Ten out of the twenty books I never thought would see the light of day now have. One publisher told me that the book was so bad, I would never get anyone to publish it. I submitted it a few years later under another name, to the same publisher, and they accepted it without hesitation. It's now doing rather well! Good reviews, good sales. The only problem we have is that if the television option goes through, the truth may have to come out. That could be fun! 
I've published several books under different names, over the past ten years, but the reaction over the past couple of years has been quite amusing. I'm not going to say what they were, and which pseudonym I used. Publishers sign confidentiality agreements, and they like to be amused too. 
Most amusing of all is reading the reviews. People who might hate David Bret's guts and, as Charlaine Harris said the other day, take advantage of the Internet to spit their poison knowing they can get away with it--these people who have given DB one star, mostly without having read the book, give the "other DB" five stars and cannot praise him/her enough.
It's a funny old world. I'd love to see the look on their faces should I say, "But actually..."
But I won't!

No comments:

Post a Comment