Sunday, 7 July 2013

Rudolph Valentino: Pleasantly Surprised!


I am quite pleasantly surprised! I published this book way back in 1998, and at that time my publisher more or less brought it out as a favour because I had George Formby waiting in the wings, so to speak, along with several other projects--quite frankly, my publisher did not expect it to sell. Then, out of the blue, I was championed by the director Ken Russell, whose film about Valentino will remain definitive, and I was invited to bring the project to Chicago--we even had dinner with a certain Mr Obama, when he was just an ordinary gentleman! A few years down the line, the project was optioned for a film--this may be described as 'a work in progress', because it's still ongoing, along with two other film projects which may or may not see the light of day before this one. And a Hollywood project which will, though I await the news with mixed feelings of elation and trepidation. They will want me to fly to Tinsel Town, and I've never been up in the air for 14 hours! The fact that I have so many lovely people waiting for me there offers me courage!
"A Dream of Desire" has been reprinted several times, and has been reprinted again. In fact, I am now in direct competition with myself as I have a revised Valentino biography currently on the market! I would also like to think that, along with a very dear friend in America, I have helped put flesh back on to those Valentino bones. This little memo is to offer a BIG thank you to all those fans--of mine, and his--who made this project work. Indeed, the success of this book allowed me to broaden my horizons, so to speak, in writing about other stars who, though great in their day, had become almost forgotten by the general public.
Tallulah Bankhead, Jean Harlow and Mario Lanza were just three.
And there's another one, about to go on the stocks...



Product Details

No comments:

Post a Comment