Thursday, 16 May 2013

The Wars Of The Roses


I'm not quite sure what to make of this. The White Queen is a new television series set to air next month, and tells about three of the leading female figures in the Wars of the Roses, based on the books by Philippa Gregory. The bit I've been privileged to see shows all three wearing armour, which of course never happened. Also, though he's cute and the right size--6'4"--I'm a bit iffy with the way Max Irons looks in character. Edward IV was famed for his long hair, and in this one they've given him a crop. I guess we'll just have to see how it pans out, though like many I'm very grateful they're covering this period in our history. It's sad though that Philippa Gregory is getting some stick over this--something I can sympathise with because, once you step away from the norm, the obsessives start going for the jugular. Two of my books are optioned for films, and if the films ever get made--it's a dodgy business--even I might not recognise my characters! Currently I have two Wars of the Roses projects, as the discovery of Richard III's remains has caused considerable interest in this period. John Dynham of Nutwell: A Saga Set During The Wars of The Roses comes out next month, the first of a four-part series. This covers the years 1458-1465 and tells the story from a new angle. Then I have The Yorkist Kings & The Wars of The Roses on the stocks right now. It's a massive undertaking--they both are--but the fortunate thing about them is that they've been written for a number of years and sitting in a box in my loft: the recent spell of insanity regarding Valentino McCanngate brought my name to the attention of the right people, so I have these nutcases to thank for this change of fortune. All I have to do is edit the original scripts, though in the case of both books it's one heck of a job!                                                                                                                                            
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment