Oscar Pistorius is a social network friend of mine and has been for some time. I admire him greatly as a sportsman, and even more so as a human being. What this man has suffered in his youth does not bear thinking about. He has shown courage and fortitude, and in my eyes he is a legend. I see no reason not to continue having him as a network friend--he has done no harm to me, he is one who has privately supported me through an ordeal, and in my eyes he remains innocent until proved otherwise.
Those who know me, know that I loathe all forms of prejudice, but most of all homophobia and racism. This man has, by the bigots, been found guilty simply because they want him to be so without getting to the bottom of the story. He comes from a country where the justice system is not what it should be--this is putting it mildly. If when June comes, things turn bad for Oscar--and I very much doubt they will--then will be the time that I revise my opinion. Until then, I remain friend and not enemy. Until then, leave the man alone.
Pistorius case - Blade Runner spotted 'flirting and downing shots'
The spokeswoman for Oscar Pistorius has defended the runner after he was reportedly seen downing shots and flirting with women at a Johannesburg restaurant.Eurosport – 1 hour 30 minutes ago
After having been released on bail, the ‘Blade Runner’ has been staying at his uncle’s house in Pretoria as he awaits his murder trial over shooting his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp.Pistorius has been said to have kept a low profile amid intense international coverage of his case, but South African press reports claim that he shocked onlookers as he reportedly flirted with several women, “knocking back” shots at the bar of a restaurant.
Reports quoted people at the popular Kitchen Bar restaurant as saying Pistorius was sporting a beard and flirting with several women.
"He was drinking shooters and he was flirtatious," one woman told the local Sunday Times.
Ms Burgess defended the Olympian, saying Pistorius "strenuously and vigorously denies any inappropriate behaviour towards any people or women present, or 'partying it up' with shooters.
"Oscar did go out last Saturday with friends," she told the Sunday Times. "It was the first time since the tragic and horrific events of February 14 that Oscar went out with friends.
"He has been out of the house with family, but this was the first time he went out to a restaurant with people other than close family.
"It is regrettable that what was supposed to be a low-key evening reconnecting with friends is now being blown out of proportion for sensational reasons."
Ms Burgess told the paper that Pistorius left the venue when "public interest became overwhelming".
He proceeded to go to a bar across the street for a short time, but "left for the same reason", Ms Burgess said.
Meanwhile, the runner's agent, Peet van Zyl, has said Pistorius was running on his blades again and his return to regular training was imminent.
Pistorius has said that he killed Steenkamp by accident as he thought he was shooting an intruder when he fired through a bathroom door at his Pretoria home.
Prosecutors say he shot her after the couple had an argument.
Pistorius is scheduled to be back in court on June 4. He could face a life sentence if found guilty of murder.
- Football - Griffin injury blow PA Sport - 11 minutes ago
- Football - Gibson set for post-season … PA Sport - 16 minutes ago
- Football - Jackett looks to rotate … PA Sport - 16 minutes ago
- WRC - Ogier feared glitch would cost … AutoSport - 19 minutes ago
- Football - Jones wants Rovers repea … PA Sport - 21 minutes ago
- Liga - San Jose hits out at Ronaldo … FootballEspana - 24 minutes ago
- Football - Barrett wants title PA Sport - 44 minutes ago
- Football - Moyes to assess squad PA Sport - 44 minutes ago
- Football - Clough looks for changes PA Sport - 44 minutes ago
- Football - Fratton favourites turn out … PA Sport - 47 minutes ago
- Serie A - Rossi moves closer to deb … FootballItalia - 59 minutes ago
- Football - Holden may stay at Owls PA Sport - 1 hour 2 minutes ago
- Premier League - Officers hurt as Newcastle … Reuters - 16 hours ago
- Millwall fans pay morbid tribute to … Desmond Kane - Sun, Apr 14, 2013 10:31 BST
- Premier League - Paper Round: Chelsea … Eurosport - Sun, Apr 14, 2013 06:50 BST
- Premier League - Di Canio's Sunderland … Reuters - 22 hours ago
- Premier League - United close on title … PA Sport - 20 hours ago
- FA Cup - Aguero header seals City final … Eurosport - 18 hours ago
- Five-year-old Messi just as amazing … World of Sport - Fri, Apr 12, 2013 20:21 BST
- Formula 1 - Alonso wins Chinese GP as … Reuters - Sun, Apr 14, 2013 08:44 BST
- Time for golf, and the golf media, to … Bunker Mentality - Sun, Apr 14, 2013 10:18 BST
- Viral video kicking star ‘signed to … World of Sport - Sat, Apr 13, 2013 12:17 BST
- Wrestler wins title with ‘Flying Squirrel’ … World of Sport - Fri, Apr 12, 2013 14:06 BST
- This Ronaldinho fan has WAY too much … World of Sport - Fri, Apr 12, 2013 19:41 BST
1 - 4 of 30