Saturday, 16 February 2013

Footballer Robbie Rogers Comes Out: But Only When It's Safe To Do So



Such is the homophobia of football however that he would never have dared come out while he was with the team. Look what they did to poor Justin Fashinu, reiterating my 'dictum' that the only good homophobe is a dead one! Believe me, not all gay men are screaming, puerile queens like Liberace was. And believe me, too, there are a lot more besides Robbie who are compelled to live a lie because of  prejudice.

 
premier League Football TeamsPremier League - ArsenalPremier League - Aston VillaPremier League - ChelseaPremier League - EvertonPremier League - FulhamPremier League - LiverpoolPremier League - Manchester CityPremier League - Manchester UnitedPremier League - Newcastle UnitedPremier League - Norwich CityPremier League - Queens Park RangersPremier League - ReadingPremier League - SouthamptonPremier League - Stoke CityPremier League - SunderlandPremier League -SwanseaPremier League - Tottenham HotspurPremier League - West Bromwich AlbionPremier League - West HamPremier League - Wigan
COMING OUT ... Rogers during a loan spell at Stevenage
COMING OUT ... Rogers during Stevenage loan

Ex-Leeds ace Rogers: I’m gay

12

FORMER Leeds United and USA midfielder Robbie Rogers has revealed he is gay — and has retired from football aged 25.

Rogers joined the Elland Road club last January on a free transfer from Columbus Crew and had a spell on loan with Stevenage earlier this season.
He was released by Leeds last month and had recently said on Twitter that he was doing work experience at a magazine.
In a blog post, he said: “Secrets can cause so much internal damage. People love to preach about honesty, how honesty is so plain and simple.
“Try explaining to your loved ones after 25 years you are gay. Try convincing yourself that your creator has the most wonderful purpose for you even though you were taught differently.
“I always thought I could hide this secret. Football was my escape, my purpose, my identity.
“Football hid my secret, gave me more joy than I could have ever imagined... I will always be thankful for my career.
“I will remember Beijing, the MLS Cup, and most of all my team-mates.
“I will never forget the friends I have made a long the way and the friends that supported me once they knew my secret.
“Now is my time to step away. It’s time to discover myself away from football.“
Rogers was tipped to be a big star in US football after joining Dutch side Heerenveen as a youngster.
But he failed to make the breakthrough in Holland and returned to the MLS with Columbus.
After winning 18 caps for the USA national team, a recommendation from Jurgen Klinsmann earned him a move to Leeds last year.
He was signed by Simon Grayson who was soon sacked and a number of injuries meant he failed to earn a regular spot in Neil Warnock’s matchday squad.
Further injuries again hampered the Californian’s progress at Stevenage before he returned to Yorkshire where Leeds terminated his contract by mutual consent.

Video: Warnock frustrated by fan criticism



Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4797457/Robbie-Rogers-gay-Ex-Leeds-USA-footballer-comes-out.html#ixzz2L49qxVpU

No comments:

Post a Comment