Wednesday, 6 February 2013

Andrea Bocelli & Edith Piaf


The jury's out on this one. A 'duet' by Andrea Bocelli and Edith Piaf. 'La vie en rose'. I know others have done it with Pavarotti, Sinatra and Nat King Cole,
On breakfast TV this morning he was very reverential towards her--he's a nice chap. I think it was a bit rich though, describing Jennifer Lopez and Nelly Furtado as singers--by no stretch of the imagination do either of them fit into that category.
I've heard many men sing 'La vie en rose'. It always featured in my repertoire while I was touring the clubs in the late-Seventies and Eighties. And always they sing the exact Piaf lyrics 'Quand il me prend dans ses bras', primarily because when singing in French, and with that particular 'C' note, 'elle' is much more difficult to sing than 'il'. There's never been a best version of the song, other than the original--a few stinkers, such as the Three Tenors and, much as I love her, Katherine Jenkins--who pronounced the line 'de jurer pour la vie' as 'jouiler' which today means something very different! Bocelli also sings the song too slowly, and it doesn't really work for the kind of tenor that he is--it needs the voice of a lyric tenor, say an Alagna or even Il Divo, to get that essential vibrato.
But, he is promoting Piaf, and that's important. Not so long ago I watched him in a video with poor Greg Lemarchal, who we met just before he died aged just twenty-three. Now that was a class act.

No comments:

Post a Comment